What if there can be only one?
What if you could only pick one exercise, one to build the most muscle mass….one to stimulate the most hormonal responses….one to just master and progress with as the gains keep coming. So what would it be? The squat? Bench press? Tricep kickbacks? (I kid….I kid)
So let’s first define what it does take to increase muscle. How about exercises that do the following:
- Use the major prime movers (compound lifts for the big muscles)
- Stimulating those muscles with enough resistance (keeping reps lower and weights higher)
- Increasing the time under tension of work (greater ROM/slower reps)
- Maximum signaling of muscle building hormones (Testosterone, GH, IGF-1) and limiting the muscle breakdown ones (Cortisol)
- Progression over time with workout (add weight/reps/volume)
- Rest, nutrients and recovery (especially sleep)
So taking all those into account, we are looking for an exercise that uses the most (and biggest muscle), able to lift heavy, bigger ROM (more time under tension) and generates a positive muscle building hormonal response….sounds like that would be a winner!
Read Full Article Here