Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cauliflower Rice - Paleo on a Budget

Ingredients:
• Half a head of Cauliflower
• Large Onion {I used vadalia.. but any yellow onion will do}
• 1 Big clove garlic
• Ghee
• Salt
• Pepper
• Food Processor {I know it’s not an ingredient.. but it’s kinda important}

How to:
• Get a pan heating up with a nice tsp…tbsp..ish with ghee.
• Chop up your onions into however big you like and add them to your pan… remember we’re caramelizing.. sloooowwwwwwwwlllyyyy cook them! {I made burgers and bacon with it tonight.. so I got that started even before I started my bacon. … then I made my burgers and rice… so by the end of that they were done}.. Oh and stir them up occasionally!
• Chop up the Cauliflower into florets. {I limited my stem usage on them too}.
• Throw your cauliflower into your food processor, pop the lid on and let it go for like..20-30 seconds, take a peak see how it looks. It should start to look like “rice” if it’s not ground up all the way give it another whirl in the processor.
• Right about now.. chop up your garlic and toss it in with the onions… I toss mine in kinda late so it doesn’t burn.
• Put your riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl… cover with plastic wrap {not too too tight here people}
• Microwave that bad boy for like 3:30-4:00 minutes {if you do a whole head I’d give it 5:00 minutes-ish}
• Careful.. that bowl could be hot! Take it out of the microwave. Add salt, pepper, some ghee if you want and your caramelized onions. Stir it to together.. and it’s done!
Stupidly easy right?! But oh so yummy.. as you can see it was served with burgers, avocados, and bacon…
Best Dinner EVER and the Rice was roughly… $1.84 to make {with onions, garlic, ghee included} which is.. $0.92 per serving.. Helllooooo cheap side dish. If you just did cauliflower rice with ghee, it’d be ~ $.022 per person per serving… And you’re kids will eat this! Toss in their favorite veggies, or ohhh chunks of steak or pork.. or bacon and sausage… you see where I’m going with this!

No comments: